Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn re-elected for a second term in Ethiopia
Ethiopian News, Tigrai Online, October 6, 2015
Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn re-elected for a second term as Ethiopian prime minister
The ruling party in Ethiopia, the Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) formed the new government this week. The EPRDF won a landslide victory in the 2015 Ethiopian elections winning virtually winning all the seats of the Ethiopian parliament.
There is no drastic change In the new Ethiopian government ministerial appointments. Dr. Debretsion Gebremichael was gone back to his old job as Minister of Information Communication Technology, but retains his Deputy Prime Minister portfolio.
Some political analysts including from the BBC thought Dr. Debretsion Gebremichael might become the new prime minster, but that was just a guess work.
We don’t know how the Ethiopian people and the international community would react to the latest minor reshuffling in the Ethiopian government. Our guess is most will be pleased because the Ethiopian prime minister was doing a great job.
Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn was unanimously elected by the House of People's Representatives, the lower house of parliament, by all 547-members of the ruling coalition, the Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF).
The the House of People's Representatives also endorsed Demeke Mekonnen as Deputy Prime Minister and Dr. Debretsion Gebremichael as Minister of Information Communication Technology and Aster Mamo as Minister of Civil Service, both with Deputy Prime Minister portfolio.
Below is the list of the new ministers:
- Siraj Fegesa - Defense Minister
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom - Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Kassa Tekleberhan - Minister of Federal Affairs and Pastoralist Area Development
- Getachew Ambaye - Minister of Juctice
- Abdulazi Mohammed - Minister of Finance and Economic Cooperation
- Tefera Deribew - Minister of Agriculture and Natural Resource Development
- Sileshi Getahun - Minister of Animal and Fish Resources
- Ahmed Abitew - Minister of Industry
- Yacob Yala- Minister of Trade
- Abiy Ahmed - Minister of Science and Technology
- Workneh Gebeyehu – Minister of Transport
- Mekuria Haile - Minister of Urban Development and Housing
- Dr. Ambachew Mekonnen- Minister of Construction
- Motuma Mekasa - Minister of Water, Irrigation and Electricity
Shiferaw Shigute - Minister of Education
Tolosa Shagi - Minister of Mines, Petroleum and Natural Gas
Dr. Keseteberhan Admasu - Minister of Health
- Abdulfetah Abdulahi - Minister of Labor and Social Affairs
- Engineer Aisha Mohammed - Minister of Culture andTourism
- Zenebu Tadesse - Minister of Women and Children
- Dr. Shiferaw Teklemariam - Minister of Environment, Forest Development and Climate Change
- Redwan Hussien - Minister of Youth and Sport
- Demitu Hambisa - Minister of Public Enterprises
Similarly, Beker Shale, Getachew Reda, Asmelash Woldesilase and Dr Yineger Dessie were appointed as Director General of Ethiopian Revenues and Revenues Authority, Government Communications Affairs Office Head, Chief Government Whip and Commissioner of National Plan, respectively, all with ministerial portfolio.
List of the ministers provided by FANABC